I found this while looking on line for a Cinco de Mayo type dessert. This was delicious...just like a strawberry margarita, yet in dessert form! Prep time equals freezing time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (I used Grand Mariner)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- To make crust: Combine pretzels, sugar and melted butter. Press firmly into bottom of 8" spring form pan. Chill.
- For filling, combine condensed milk, lime juice, tequila and orange liquor.
- Beat until smooth. Add strawberries, beat at low speed until well-blended. Fold in whipping cream. Pour over crust, freeze 4 - 6 hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
Made this for my bookclub friends and it was a huge hit. Because the recipe didn't say to whip the whipping cream I didn't, but next time I would. Delicious! KC
The saltiness of the crust was a perfect blend with the creamy strawberry layer. I had it made up in less than 30 minutes...my kind of dessert, fast and easy!!! Even though this was light, it was filling....so I think this could feed 8-10 people easily. I cut the dessert in half and froze the second half for a later date. I left the dessert on the counter for 20 minutes...but it could have been left a bit longer (so you don't have "brain freeze") Really enjoyed this treat....thanks for the posting!!!
I love this dessert! The saltiness of the pretzel crust with the true margarita flavor of the strawberry layer is just perfect! To make a non alcoholic version substitute 1/4 c non alcoholic margarita mix or orange juice in place of the tequila and orange liqueur. This is a great recipe! Thanks for posting!