Can also be made into 2 8x8 pans instead of one large one to create 2 desserts. Cooking time is freezing time.
Crumb Base and Topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts, or pecans, or sliced almonds)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, optional-good if using almonds for the nuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- For crumb mixture, combine flour, nuts, margarine, and brown sugar. Spread evenly on to a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbs into a 13x9 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. In a small mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream into strawberry mixture.
- Spoon evenly over crumbs in baking pan. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
- Cover, label and freeze for least 6 hours or until firm; Serve frozen.
I made this using some of my strawberry bounty. It is a great summer dessert! I only used a little bit of the crumb base and topping (only because I overcooked it). Next time I'll watch it a bit more closely and use it all. I like the little bit of crunch it adds. I also left out the nuts due to personal preference. Thanks for the yummy dessert!
This recipe is very, very good! I too made the filling the same way another reviewer did. I whipped the egg whites, set aside, & then the whipping cream, set aside. Then I folded in the berries as I was mixing the two of them together. I also eliminated the nuts (allergies) and instead of white flour I used whole wheat flour, delicious!! My whole family loved it!
This tastes like a cloud. Very fluffy & light. I really like the nuts in the crumb mixture. I used pecans & finely chopped them. I made the filling a tiny bit differently. I whipped the egg whites & the whipping cream (separately) first then folded in the berries as I was mixing them together. Thanks Pamela for a great recipe and I like the idea of having a dessert made & in the freezer.