1/1 Photo of French Vanilla Ice Cream
8 hrs 15 mins
While similar in ingredients to other recipes posted, I didn't find one that was exactly the same. This recipe came with my Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker and is our favorite. The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink credits Thomas Jefferson with bringing "French-style" ice cream, made with egg yolks, to America.
My Private Note
1/2 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the half & half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat, set aside.
- 2Place egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl. Whip using whip attachment on speed 2 about 30 seconds or until well blended and slightly thickened. (Speed 2 on my mixer is about a low/medium speed).
- 3Continuing on speed 2 very gradually add the warm half & half and mix until blended.
- 4Return mixture to the saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly until small bubbles form around the edge of pan and the mixture is steamy. DO NOT BOIL.
- 5Transfer the half-and-half/egg mixture to a large glass bowl and stir in whipping cream, vanilla and salt.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours.
- 7Pour into your ice cream maker and process as directed or until desired consistency. In my KA freezer bowl this takes about 17 minutes for a soft set.
- 8Immediately transfer to serving dishes or freeze in an airtight freezer container.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Vanilla Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.4
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.9 mg
- Sodium 51.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 3.1 g