This makes a very rich and creamy chocolate ice cream. Be sure for best flavor, to use a premium, high quality chocolate. If you do not like the bitter taste of the chocolate, be sure to add extra sugar (you can add up to 1 full cup). The Cook Time reflects freezing. Note: To make Belgian chocolate ice cream, stir in 1/4 cup rum or 1 tsp rum extract and 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts. To make Mandarin Chocolate ice cream, add 1 TBS grated orange rind and 1/2 tsp orange extract or 2 TBS orange liqueur.
- Heat milk in medium saucepan.
- Stir in chocolate, continue stirring until chocolate is melted.
- In another bowl, combine sugar with flour; stir in a little hot milk/chocolate mixture, add beaten egg to chocolate mixture; then add egg mixture to milk/chocolate.
- Stir over low heat until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Cool in refrigerator at least 1 hour, or until well chilled.
- Stir in whipping cream and vanilla.
- Freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Note: The use of the flour will help to give the ice cream body and smoothness.