3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe from Forepaughs restaurant in St. Paul, Minnesota, a layered cake-and-berry specialty in its tall glass bowl, is a holiday show stopper. Prep time is approximate and includes chilling. (This is an adopted recipe. I have not prepared this particular version of trifle.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 3 (36 ounce) packages red raspberries, frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 small sponge cake (9x9x2-inch)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 (20 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1For pastry cream, in a large, heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch until smooth.
- 2Add milk and cook and stir just until mixture comes to boiling; remove from the heat.
- 3Stir in butter and vanilla.
- 4Cool, cover and chill the mixture for about 2 hours.
- 5Fold in the whipped cream.
- 6For raspberry sauce, in a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, heat raspberries over low heat until thawed; stir in sugar.
- 7Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 40 minutes or until thickened to consistency of egg whites.
- 8Cool for about 30 minutes; sieve to remove seeds.
- 9Cut the sponge cake into 1-1/2-inch pieces.
- 10Begin layering the trifle by arranging half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a clear 3-quart glass bowl.
- 11Sprinkle half of the sherry over cake.
- 12Spoon 1 package of strawberries over cake to cover.
- 13Repeat layers.
- 14Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- 15Beat the 1 cup whipping cream with the 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 16Serve the trifle topped with the raspberry sauce, sweetened whipped cream and almonds.
- 17Note: if you like, layer ingredients in individual dessert dishes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Forepaughs English Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 874.4
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 310.0 mg
- Sodium 197.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.5 g
- Sugars 67.5 g
- Protein 13.6 g