1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This traditional recipe is normally served with Kirschsosse or Vanillesosse. This is from my grandmother's recipe box.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make sure you are using a heavy 10-inch skillet with a tight fitting lid for the final process.
- 2Scald 1/2 cup milk. Meanwhile soften yeast in 2 tbsp warm water. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix butter, sugar and salt. Immediately pour scaled milk over ingredients in bowl. When lukewarm, blend mixture beating in the 1 cup flour until smooth. Stir in the yeast mixture as well mixing well.
- 4Measure and sift 2 cups flour and add to dumpling mixture. Beat until smooth. Beat the eggs til well mixed then add.
- 5Add remaining flour in small amounts to create a soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and let rest 10 minute.
- 6Knead until smooth and then turn into a greased deep bowl. Turn dough to bring greased surface to top. Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let stand in a warm place (about 80F) until dough has doubled (about 1 1/2 hrs).
- 7Punch down then turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let rise on rolling surface until balls have doubled (about 1-1 1/2 hrs).
- 8TO COOK: Put in to the skillet the 1 1/2 cups milk, butter and sugar.
- 9Put about 8 of the balls into the skillet. Do not set them to close together. Refrigerate remaining balls until ready to cook.
- 10Cover and cook over high heat until steam appears. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minute Do not remove cover during cooking.
- 11Carefully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to serving dishes and serve with Kirschesosse or Vanillesosse.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dampfnudln (Steamed Sweet Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.9
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 114.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g