Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This traditional recipe is normally served with Kirschsosse or Vanillesosse. This is from my grandmother's recipe box.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Make sure you are using a heavy 10-inch skillet with a tight fitting lid for the final process.
- Scald 1/2 cup milk. Meanwhile soften yeast in 2 tbsp warm water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix butter, sugar and salt. Immediately pour scaled milk over ingredients in bowl. When lukewarm, blend mixture beating in the 1 cup flour until smooth. Stir in the yeast mixture as well mixing well.
- Measure and sift 2 cups flour and add to dumpling mixture. Beat until smooth. Beat the eggs til well mixed then add.
- Add remaining flour in small amounts to create a soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and let rest 10 minute.
- Knead until smooth and then turn into a greased deep bowl. Turn dough to bring greased surface to top. Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let stand in a warm place (about 80F) until dough has doubled (about 1 1/2 hrs).
- Punch down then turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let rise on rolling surface until balls have doubled (about 1-1 1/2 hrs).
- TO COOK: Put in to the skillet the 1 1/2 cups milk, butter and sugar.
- Put about 8 of the balls into the skillet. Do not set them to close together. Refrigerate remaining balls until ready to cook.
- Cover and cook over high heat until steam appears. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minute Do not remove cover during cooking.
- Carefully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to serving dishes and serve with Kirschesosse or Vanillesosse.
Thank You for posting this recipe. These's bring back childhood memories. My Grandmother would make these for us. No one ever got the recipe, so my family was very happy that we found it. Made them today. Followed the recipe but added more butter and brown sugar when I steamed them. YUM