1/1 Photo of Cuban Boniatillo (sweet Potato Paste Dessert)
2 hrs 45 mins
This very sweet little dessert is made from the Cuban sweet potato called a boniato. There really is no substitution, but if you are feeling brave a white sweet potato might be OK. You can find boniato in Latin grocery stores. This is really sweet, and is served in small doses. We like it after a garlicy meal, such as Cuban Roast Pork and Mojo Crillio, served with little cups of strong espresso. This is not a typical America dessert – it’s not chocolate cake, not a hot fudge sundae – so be ready for something new - its an adventure!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs cuban white sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2 inches or longer)
- 1 lime peel, of no pith, just the green part, use a vegetable peeler
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (I donÂ’t use this, instead, I use vanilla)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (see above) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ground cinnamon (to garnish)
- 1Place the cubed potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt – boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2Drain potatoes and puree in a food processor or blender.
- 3Combine the 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, lime peel and cinnamon stick in a large heavy saucepan.
- 4Cook until it reaches the soft-ball stage (250 degrees) on a candy thermometer – about 15 minutes – stir frequently.
- 5Reduce heat to low, carefully add potatoes cook and stir until smooth – about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and add the egg yolks and mix well.
- 7Return to low heat for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 8Remove from the heat mix in either the sherry or the vanilla (NOT BOTH) Note: I like to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon here, but it’s optional.
- 9Allow the paste to cool at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 10Transfer to a serving bowl or individual dishes and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 11Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve cold.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Boniatillo (sweet Potato Paste Dessert)
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.3
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 343.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 53.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: