A delicious and easy-to-make treat for Easter or any time of year. I was surprised at how quickly these came together. Use tinted coconut for “nests” for your eggs if desired. Do not use a lowfat or generic brand of peanut butter for this recipe. I recommend Jif’s Extra Crunchy. I also recommend you use a very good quality chocolate chip.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and crunchy peanut butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in the cereals.
- Drop by a tablespoon onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil that has been lightly sprayed with PAM or other non-stick spray. When cool enough to handle, spray your hands with PAM and shape each dropful into egg shape.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave or in a double boiler, whichever you prefer. Stir until smooth and completely melted.
- Dip eggs in chocolate, turning to coat, and allowing excess to drip off.
- Place on cookie sheet and decorate with candy sprinkles. Let stand until set.
- Place in a decorative arrangement onto tinted coconut on a tray.
These are pretty good!
I made these on Easter & they were a big hit by grown-ups & kids. I will surely make them again.