1/1 Photo of Crumb Coffee Cake
Hey Jude's Note:
I found this terrific coffeecake recipe in the "King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion" and have submitted it nearly exactly as they printed it because it's so darn good, there's nothing to change! My 22-YO dieting daughter got mad at me for making this, it caused her to go off her diet. This is one good coffeecake and you probably have all of the ingredients right at hand. Serving amounts are approximate, it depends on what pan size you use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350° Grease (your choice) 2 8-inch round pans or 1 9x13-inch pan.
- 2The Crumb: in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon Melt the butter in microwave or small saucepan and add the extracts to it.
- 3Pour the melted butter into the flour mixture and mix until all the butter is absorbed and you have a uniformly moistened crumb mixture; set aside while you make the cake batter.
- 4The Cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add the eggs one at a time, and beat between additions.
- 5Scrape down the mixing bowl, then beat in the vanilla and sour cream.
- 6In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together; add to the butter/sour cream mixture, mixing until evenly combined.
- 7Pour the batter into the greased pan (s) of your choice, crumble the crumb mixture over the top, until the batter is completely covered.
- 8Bake for 20-25 minutes for the 8-inch round pans, or 30-35 minutes for the 9x13 pan.
- 9Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 10Remove cake from the oven and cool on a rack; dust the top with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crumb Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.2
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 67.9 mg
- Sodium 338.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 4.3 g