Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from my husband's home economics class from 1979. We love it. I especially love to eat it warm.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in double boiler.
- Gradually stir in milk, stir well.
- Place the mixture over boiling water stirring constantly for 12 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Cover and let cook for ten minutes.
- Beat 2 eggs with an electric beater.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the cooked mixture into the beaten eggs very gradually while continuing to beat mixture with electric mixture.
- Repeat 3 times.
- Pour egg into cooked mixture.
- Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- When slightly cooled, stir gently, and add vanilla.
This was exactly what I was looking for. I used whole organic milk for a creamier taste and it turned out fine, the one recommendation I would make is to cut the sugar in half, it was much too sweet for my tastes. Follow the recipe and you can't go wrong!
This is delicious. I used one can undiluted fat free milk and made up to the 4 cups with regular skim milk. Also substituted some of the sugar with Splenda. My only complaint was that it took an awfully long time to thicken (about 35 minutes) before adding the eggs.
very easy to make and real comfort food for a cold winter night