From a Jewish Cooking website, this recipe sounds quite intriguing to me as I love cherries and have never seen them used in this way before.
- Drain cherries, if necessary, saving liquid.
- Puree cherries and reserved liquid, if any, in blender or food processor.
- Add enough water to cherry puree to make 2 quarts.
- Add vinegar, cornstarch, and cinnamon.
- Place in pan and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cream.
- Season with additional sugar to taste.
- When ready to serve, top with sweetened whipped cream and dust with cinnamon or nutmeg to garnish.
- **Can be used as the soup course of a meal, but substitute sour cream for the whipped sweetened cream to garnish and season to taste with salt or vinegar to taste.
Delicious, easy to make, and elegant. I'm sure I will make this again, and I will try it without the vinegar. I just have a feeling I would like it even better that way. I used half-and-half instead of cream and I used frozen tart cherries. Wow! This is good! Reviewed for ZWT4.