I made these for Christmas and they were everyones FAVORITE! The taste like Mounds Bars...BUT BETTER! Even if you don't like coconut you HAVE to try these! It makes it easier to form them into balls if you refrigerate the dough for awhile first. Oh, and I like to store these in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter, confectioners' sugar, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Mix in the coconut.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate and shortening over a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from heat when melted, and stir to make sure the shortening is fully incorporated.
- Use toothpicks to hold the balls while dipping in the chocolate.
- Set on wax paper to dry.
These are great! Pretty messy to shape into balls and I had to keep refrigerating them while dipping in chocolate because the toothpick kept slipping out. I used 2 cups chocolate chips instead of baking squares and they turned out great. I took them to a superbowl party and everyone couldn't stop eating them. They do get pretty soft when left out for very long, so I just put out a small amount and stored extras in the fridge refilling when necessary. They are now requested every time my friends throw a party. Next time I think I will try placing an almond in the center before dipping in chocolate - instant Almond Joy. Thanks for the great recipe.
These were really good! They did taste like a rich version of Mounds. Next time I will use more chocolate b/c I was really scraping to cover the last few. They dry out after about two days, so eat them up fast!