Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wow, what flavors. This special cake is worth the extra effort. The big kids around here go crazy for this tasty cake. I hope that you also enjoy this light, fluffy, creamy treat.
- chocolate wafer
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, dark
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- whipping cream
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur, Grand Marnia
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1⁄8 cup powdered sugar (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line two rimless baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside until needed.
- Chocolate Wafers.
- Beat butter with icing sugar until fluffy.
- Next add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture in two additions to form smooth soft dough.
- Divide dough in half and shape each into 8-inch log and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 3 - 4 hours. (until firm enough to slice,).
- Cut into thin slices, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Place cookie slices, 1 inch apart, on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of 375°F oven.
- Switch and rotate pans halfway through baking, until wafers are just firm to the touch and slightly darkened, about 9 minutes.
- Let cool for 2 minutes on pan, then transfer wafers to rack and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whip together heavy cream, granulated sugar and orange rind and Grand Marnia.
- Divide wafers into 5 batches. Arrange 1 batch in single layer on flat glass cake pan. Break wafers into smaller pieces to fill in gaps as necessary.
- Then cover the wafers with one-sixth of the whipped-cream mixture.
- Add second layer of wafers and cream then place half of the raspberries over the cream.
- Repeat with 2 more layers of cream and wafers.
- Lastly, cover the top of the cake with the remaining cream mixture.
- Loosely drape with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- When ready to serve garnish with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with a light dusting of powdered sugar.