Good Eats...Alton Brown..ice cream maker required.
Make and share this Chocolate Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream.
- Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
- Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added.
- Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
- This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
- Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
This was a really nice treat. We really enjoyed it. We followed the recipe precisely. Next time I think we'd reduce the chocolate. I used 1/2 cup and it was a bit too much chocolate. Thank you! Had to come back after having this today...it definitely tastes better the day after. 5 stars! Thanks again.
This chocolate ice cream is heaven! After making Charlotte's Angel Food Cake, I was looking for a way to use up some of the leftover egg yolks and discovered this wonderful recipe! Creamy, rich and smooth! Delicious and rich in chocolaty flavor! I made exactly as directed for a wonderful treat! Thanks so much, Charlotte!