Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great coffee cake that tastes as good as it looks. This cake has been a real crowd pleaser at our Sunday morning coffee hour. There are no leftovers when serving this one. I got this recipe from a friend who not only has great recipes but shares them!
- In a large bowl make crumb mix: 2 1/4 cups flour 3/4 cup white sugar; Whisk together to mix.
- Cut in: 3/4 cup butter or margarine. Mix until crumbly.
- REMOVE 1/2 cup of crumb mix and set aside to sprinkle on top.
- To remainder of crumb mix add: 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Combine: 1 beaten egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk.
- Add to dry crumb mix and stir until just moistened.
- Spread 2/3 of batter over bottom and part way up the side of a greased 9 inch spring form pan or a well greased bundt pan. I favor the spring form pan when serving this as dessert.
- Spoon Cherry pie filler over batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter over filling.
- (I found 1 cup of batter for the third is about right) Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of reserved crumb mix.
- Bake 350 for 50-55 minutes.
Really a great and easy coffee cake. I used blueberry pie filling as I had a can in the cupboard and it was delicious.
Good coffee cake. Of course we love cherries. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!
I made these as muffins, and they were great! I followed other reviewers, and added salt, almond extract and almonds (to the topping). The almonds really bring out the cherry flavor. I did not have pie filling, so I used one cup of cherry preserves. I also subbed 1/4 cup of the fat as applesauce, and it worked very well. I baked the muffins at 375 convection for 22 minutes. The recipe yielded 12 large (and yummy) muffins. Love the topping!