1/3 Photos of Carmen Miranda
12 hrs 30 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
This is a Brazilian version of a trifle. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I liked the sound of it. I found this recipe on (sadly departed) cleverchef.com a while back, but I believe it's originally from a cookbook called "Fiesta! A Celebration of Latin Hospitality". Note: allow for chilling time for assmbled trifle (minimum 2 hours, but overnight is recommended).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temp (Neufchatel cheese may be used instead)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, well-chilled
- 1 cup cachaca (this is sort of a Brazilian type of rum, plain or flavored white rum would be decent subtitutes for)
- 10 1/2 ounces ladyfingers (preferably the crispy kind)
- 2 cups ripe mangoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh ripe pineapple, diced
- 2 cups ripe papayas, diced
- extra mango (to garnish)
- extra pineapple (to garnish)
- extra papaya (to garnish)
- 1Chill a mixing bowl and clean beaters in the freezer. Prepare a double boiler for use (bring water to a simmer in the bottom portion).
- 2Beat egg yolks and 2/3 cup sugar in a large bowl until pale yellow (approximately 2 minutes). Transfer this mixture to the top pan of the prepared double boiler. Simmer, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes or until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cool.
- 3Once cooked yolk mixture has cooled to room temp, combine this mixture in a food processor with the cream cheese. Process until fluffy and well-blended.
- 4Whip chilled cream in the chilled bowl with chilled beaters until it forms stiff peaks(the colder everything is, the better). Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- 5In a small saucepan, combine the liquor with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and simmer to dissolve the sugar, approximately 5 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer to a small bowl.
- 6Everything but the fruit will be layered into a 9-inch bowl (glass is best for visual effect) in thirds (the fruit will be layered once per type). Dip each ladyfinger in the liquor syrup, then place in the bottom of the serving bowl. Once 1/3 of the ladyfingers are dipped and placed, cover them with the diced mangoes and 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture. Cover with another 1/3 of dipped ladyfingers, then the pineapple and 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat one more time, 1/3 of the dipped ladyfingers, the diced papaya, and the last of the cream cheese mixture. Chill overnight (or at least for two hours so the ladyfingers will soften and flavors can meld). Just prior to serving, garnish with the additional fruits.
Nutritional Facts for Carmen Miranda
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.0
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 282.6 mg
- Sodium 216.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 48.4 g
- Protein 9.4 g