This dessert treat uses fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, but you could substitute vanilla ice cream if you prefer. The flavors of coconut and the carmelized pineapple create a delicious topping. This is best when fresh pineapple is used. Sometimes you can find already peeled and cored pineapple in the produce department. From Food & Wine.
- Light a grill.
- Brush the pineapple rings with the oil.
- Grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until the pineapple rings are lightly charred and softened, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the rings to a work surface to cut them into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium skillet, toast the coconut over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the coconut to a plate to cool.
- Scoop the frozen yogurt (or ice cream) into sundae glasses or bowls.
- Top with the grilled pineapple, sprinkle with the toasted coconut, and garnish with mint sprigs (if using) and serve right away.
This is so good and so simple. I toasted the coconut in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes but toasts up nicely. I used fresh pineapple and vanilla ice cream. In addition to topping this with the coconut it was also topped with chopped macadamia nuts for a real tropical experience. Made for Aussie Swap.
Great treat! The toasted coconut and caramelized pineapple is wonderful. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7
This is a great Sundae! I added some banana slices on top of the coconut and pineapple rings. I did use the frozen yogurt, which was nice, because I sometimes can't tell the difference between frozen yogurt and ice cream anyhow! Since I have leftovers of everything, i will be making this again later this week, when it gets even hotter!