Julie Leo's Note:
Homemade caramel is a luscious treat, well worth the effort. But if time is short, skip this step, substituting a bag of caramel candies; use package directions for melting the caramel. Then decorate the apples lavishly for an extra-special dessert or edible gift
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 golden delicious apples or 6 Red Delicious apples or 6 fuji apples
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped natural pistachios
- red cinnamon candies or other small decorative candies
- gold leaf foil (optional)
- 1You'll also need: 10-inch square piece of styrofoam and 6 popsicle sticks or small wooden dowels.
- 2In heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and sugar.
- 3Over low heat, stir mixture gently until sugar is completely dissolved.
- 4Increase heat to medium low and cook, without stirring, until mixture is a dark amber color.
- 5Remove from heat and carefully stir in heavy cream (mixture will bubble up and spatter a bit, then subside.) Set aside to cool and thicken.
- 6Cover styrofoam with waxed paper to catch caramel drippings (this will be a stand for caramel apples).
- 7Insert popsicle sticks into bottom center of apples.
- 8Dip top half of each apple into thickened caramel.
- 9Insert bottom of popsicle sticks into styrofoam, allowing apples to stand upright so caramel runs down sides of each apple.
- 10Refrigerate to harden.
- 11Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in top of double boiler above gently simmering water; stir until smooth.
- 12Transfer melted chocolate to pastry bag fitted with small (#1) writing tip.
- 13Drizzle thin, random strips of white chocolate over each caramel apple.
- 14Repeat melting and drizzling with semi-sweet chocolate.
- 15Decorate each apple with pistachios, Red Hot candies, and a few small pieces of gold leaf, if desired.
- 16Serve or refrigerate to serve later.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Candied Apple
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.1
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.1 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 56.5 g
- Protein 4.4 g