Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Homemade caramel is a luscious treat, well worth the effort. But if time is short, skip this step, substituting a bag of caramel candies; use package directions for melting the caramel. Then decorate the apples lavishly for an extra-special dessert or edible gift
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 golden delicious apples or 6 Red Delicious apples or 6 fuji apples
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped natural pistachios
- red cinnamon candies or other small decorative candies
- gold leaf foil (optional)
- You'll also need: 10-inch square piece of styrofoam and 6 popsicle sticks or small wooden dowels.
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and sugar.
- Over low heat, stir mixture gently until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium low and cook, without stirring, until mixture is a dark amber color.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in heavy cream (mixture will bubble up and spatter a bit, then subside.) Set aside to cool and thicken.
- Cover styrofoam with waxed paper to catch caramel drippings (this will be a stand for caramel apples).
- Insert popsicle sticks into bottom center of apples.
- Dip top half of each apple into thickened caramel.
- Insert bottom of popsicle sticks into styrofoam, allowing apples to stand upright so caramel runs down sides of each apple.
- Refrigerate to harden.
- Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in top of double boiler above gently simmering water; stir until smooth.
- Transfer melted chocolate to pastry bag fitted with small (#1) writing tip.
- Drizzle thin, random strips of white chocolate over each caramel apple.
- Repeat melting and drizzling with semi-sweet chocolate.
- Decorate each apple with pistachios, Red Hot candies, and a few small pieces of gold leaf, if desired.
- Serve or refrigerate to serve later.
really good and simple. I looked for a recipe without bought sweets for ages. Perfect ;)