Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rhubarb season is coming so I thought I'd post this recipe that I got from my Aunt. I believe it's a Mollie Katzen recipe as my Aunt loves her stuff.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° (325° if you're using a glass pan). Place rhubarb in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Let stand while preparing the batter.
- Spray an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer, until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until uniformly blended. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir thoroughly, but minimally, until combined, don't overmix.
- Fold in the rhubarb and transfer the batter to the prepared pan. The batter will be stiff and you'll have to work with it a little, spreading it in the pan. Don't worry if it doesn't look completely uniform in the pan.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted all the way into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is fabulous! I doubled it for a 9x13 pan and it turned out great! It lasted ONE day in my house! Definitely will be made often in the summer!