Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This ice cream is a custard based one. Time to make does not include churning and freezing time.
Make and share this Buttered Black Walnut Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups black walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups milk, scalded
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Saute black walnuts in the 3 Tbs. of butter & let cool.
- Combine sugar,flour & salt,slowly stir in hot milk.
- Cook 10 minutes over low heat,stirring constantly.
- Stir small amount of cooked mixture into beaten eggs,return to milk mixture & cook 1 mniute.
- Chill in refrigerator,then pour in ice cream freezer & add cream & vanilla.
- Churn in freezer for about 15 minutes,then add black walnuts & finish freezing.
Is it possible to make the ice cream without a ice cream maker?
To die for! I'm not a black walnut fan.. but DH is. He isn't gaga over them, but likes them well enough. After coming into some of these babies... I was trying to find something to use them in. Low and behold, good old ice cream! He really really loved this... Even I liked the ice cream flavor (minus the nuts)! I'll have to try this as regular "boring" vanilla so the rest of us can enjoy it too! LOL! Try it!! You'll love it! Thanks for sharing!
With good black walnuts, easy and outstanding