Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Every August the peach tree in our garden is bursting with huge, juicy peaches. I make this at least once a week every summer once that tree gives up its fruit, for family desserts and as gifts for friends.
- 4 large peaches, pureed or chopped fine
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To peaches, add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the lemon juice.
- Set aside, covered in refrigerator.
- In a medium saucepan combine milk, eggs, and remaining sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream and vanilla.
- Stir peaches in cream mixture and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Loved the colour and the taste of this ice-cream. Thanks To U, Mirj Momma, now I can make peach n brown sugar ice-cream whenever I wish to:)
I didn't have four large peaches, so I used 6 small ones and maybe this was too much because I had more than a quart of mix after adding everything together. I also think that next time I make this, I will use almond extract for a more unusual flavor.
Fantastic recipe, Mirj! I needed to make more than a quart as I had 12 people to feed. So, I tripled the recipe. I would adjust it just a tad, only because I had liquid left over, and couldn't fit any more into the ice cream freezer. 1. Didn't have fresh peaches, but a friend had just frozen some fresh ones a few weeks ago. We took these and chopped them finely. Used about 5 cups for a triple batch. 2. Didn't do my math right, so didn't have enough whipping cream. Used 3 cups for triple batch. Turned out wonderfully. 3. Used total of 4 1/2 cups of milk. Still had too much liquid. Could probably decrease to about 3 1/2. 4. Don't leave out the lemon juice. The acidity helped blend the flavors together nicely. This will be a summer-time staple at our house. Thanks!