1/3 Photos of Brown Sugar Apple Cheesecake
8 hrs 40 mins
I found this on a food blog. The blogger credits "Baking: From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 30 gingersnaps (or a 2 cups graham cracker crumbs)
- 29.58 ml light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon (optional)
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted
For the Apples
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 3 large golden delicious apples or 3 large fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 29.58 ml packed light brown sugar
For the Filling
- 3 (680.38 g) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 177.44 ml packed light brown sugar
- 88.74 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml apple cider
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 78.07 ml heavy cream
- apple jelly, for glazing (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 1To Make the Crust:
- 2Butter the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- 3Put the gingersnaps in a food processor and whir until you have crumbs; you should have a scant 2 cups.
- 4Pulse in the sugar and cinnamon, if you're using it, then pour in the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are moistened.
- 5Turn the crumbs into the springform pan and, using your fingertips, firmly press them evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan as far as they'll go.
- 6Put the pan in the freezer while you preheat the oven. (The crust can be covered and frozen for up to 2 months.).
- 7Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 8Remove the pan from the freezer and wrap the bottom tightly in aluminum foil, going up the sides.
- 9Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the crust is set and lightly browned.
- 10Transfer to a rack to cool while you make the apples and the filling.
- 11Leave the oven at 350 degrees F.
- 12To Make the Apples:
- 13Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 14When the foam subsides, toss in half of the apple slices and cook, turning once, until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 15Sprinkle the apples with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and cook them, turning, just until coated, another minute or so.
- 16Scrape the apples onto a plate, wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining apples.
- 17Let the apples cool while you make the filling.
- 18Getting Ready to Bake:.
- 19Have a roasting pan large enough to hold the springform pan at hand. Put a kettle of water on to boil.
- 20To Make the Filling:
- 21Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed, scraping down the bowl often, for about 4 minutes, or until it is velvety smooth.
- 22Add the sugars and beat for another 2 minutes.
- 23Beat in the cider, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- 24Reduce the speed to low and beat in the eggs one by one, beating for 1 minute after each egg goes inches
- 25Finally, beat in the sour cream and heavy cream, beating just until the batter is smooth.
- 26Pour about one third of the batter into the baked crust.
- 27Drain the apples by lifting them off the plate with a slotted spoon or spatula, and spoon them into the pan.
- 28Cover with the remaining batter and, if needed, jiggle the pan to even the top.
- 29Place the springform pan in the roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
- 30Bake the cheesecake for 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes, covering the cake loosely with a foil tent at the 45-minute mark.
- 31The cake will rise evenly and crack around the edges and it should be fully set except, possibly, in the very center--if the center shimmies, that's just fine.
- 32Gently transfer the cake, still in the pan, to a cooling rack and let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate it for at least 6 hours; overnight would be better.
- 33Run a blunt knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the crust, open the pan's latch and release and remove the sides.
- 34If desired, melt a small amount of apple jelly in the microwave and glaze the cake, or dust with confectioner's sugar.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Apple Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.5
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 181.1 mg
- Sodium 382.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 39.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g