My niece in South Carolina sent me this recipe for bread pudding. It was the first time I ever had it. After trying it for the first time, I did make a few adjustments to cater to my taste, although the orginal recipe was quite good. I wanted it to be a bit sweeter so increased the sugar from just under a 1/2 cup to just over 3/4 cup. I also added the double strength vanilla. This pudding can be eaten warm or chilled...topped with pouring cream if desired.
- Toast bread.
- Butter one side only; cut into 16 cubes per slice.
- In mixing bowl, add eggs, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar, whisk until well blended.
- Add milk to the egg mixture and whisk until well blended.
- Put the bread cubes into a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the cubes of bread.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture slowly over the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approxiately 45-55 minutes, until a silver knife inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean.