1/1 Photo of Blueberry Dumplings
One of my childhood memories is picking wild blueberries with my siblings when our family went camping in northern Ontario - then my mother would make blueberry dumplings for us! This recipe from Jim Dodge, Food & Beverage Manager at the Getty Center in L.A., is much better - sorry mom! Wild blueberries are best - but cultivated or frozen blueberries or even Saskatoons will work. Top with creme fraiche or whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Filling: Adjust oven rack to the lowest level and preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Wash the berries in a bowl of cold water, remove any leaves or stems and drain well.
- 3In a 2 ½ to 3 quart casserole with a tight fitting lid, stir together the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves.
- 4Add the berries and cover with the lid.
- 5Bake on the lower rack for about 30 minutes or until the filling gives off a little steam.
- 6While the filling is baking, begin preparing the batter so that you are able to make the dumplings quickly.
- 7Dumplings: In a medium size bowl blend together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Pour the milk into a small saucepan.
- 9Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the milk.
- 10Warm over moderate heat until the milk is warm and the butter is almost completely melted.
- 11Turn off the heat and leave the mixture in the saucepan on the burner so that the milk stays warm and butter stays melted.
- 12Get ready in your workspace: a fork to mix with and two large oval soupspoons to form the dumplings.
- 13When the blueberry filling is ready, remove the casserole from the oven, but do not remove the lid.
- 14With a fork, stir the milk mixture into the flour only until the milk has been absorbed.
- 15The batter should look lumpy and under mixed.
- 16Remove the lid from the top of the casserole and keep it close by.
- 17Drop large spoonfuls of the batter on top of the blueberry mixture forming first a circle and then filling in the center of the circle.
- 18The dumplings will sink a little.
- 19Return the lid to the top and place back into the oven.
- 20Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- 21Do not remove the lid until this baking time has elapsed.
- 22Remove from the oven and place on a rack.
- 23Remove the lid and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- 24Whip the crème fraîche (or whipping cream) until thickened.
- 25To serve, spoon into deep bowls and top with a dollop of cream fraîche or whipping cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.3
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 305.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 43.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g