Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is great for picnics or pot-luck type get-togethers. It is one of my husband's favorites and doesn't seem to last long when I bake it! The freshness of the blueberries complements the rich butter layer beneath.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- Mix 1 3/4 cups flour, butter and powdered sugar in medium bowl.
- Pat in 9 x 13-inch pan and bake 15 minutes at 350°.
- While crust is baking, beat eggs lightly.
- Add sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, vanilla or almond extract and salt.
- Mix well.
- Gently fold in blueberries to batter.
- Pour batter over baked layer and place back in oven for 40-45 minutes at 350°.
- Top should be lightly browned.
- Cool slightly in pan.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Wow, are these delicious! Very easy to prepare, but it seems like you spent much more time on them. The crust is divine. Golden on the bottom, flaky, tasting of shortbread. The topping is light, and really lets the berries stand on their own. MAKE SURE you add the almond or vanilla extract in step #4, it's left out of the instructions. Mine took exactly 45 minutes. When they're cooled slightly, the crust is very flaky, and tends to crumble, separating from the top. Still delicious, but a bit messy. Mine came out of the oven around 5:00. It's now 9:30..I just had one and it held together perfectly. So just be sure to give them extra time to set up. But I bet you'll be eating them anyway. Great recipe!
What an excellent recipe - very easy to follow and put together AND delicious. I had 4 cups of blueberries that were begging to be put into some kind of bakery item. So glad I found this recipe - the flavor is wonderful. There is some separation of top from bottom, but nothing that can't be remedied by using a napkin under your chin with one hand and eating the bar with the other - you'll catch all the parts that fall off for that one last satisfying bite :) Thank you Kathya821 for posting this scrumptious recipe.
These are great. I might add another egg and 1/2 cup of berries next time. I used 1c regular flour and 3/4 c whole wheat flour in the crust.