Use day-old blueberry bagels from the bargain rack. Wonderful flavors in this bread pudding. The baking time varies depending on your baking dish size and depth. Serve with Derf's Grand Marnier Custard Sauce or any Custard Sauce on Zaar. Whipped Cream is nice as a topping as well. An orignial recipe.
- 5 regular-sized blueberry bagels (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, un-whipped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, more if you like it sweet
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, DO NOT THAW)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or 375 degrees F. (See note).
- Generously, butter 9 x9 inch glass baking dish or 8 individual baking dishes.
- Place torn bagels in large mixing bowl; pour over milk and cream.
- Let absorb for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and let it cool. When cooled, mix with beaten eggs and remaining ingredients.
- Combine with bagel mixture, distributing blueberries evenly in mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking dish; place in center of oven. Bake uncovered for about 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center come out clean.
- NOTE: If using Soufflé or deeper dish for baking the entire pudding, reduce temperature to 375 degrees F. and allow for longer baking time; test at 40 minutes.
- If using individual dishes, bake at 375 degrees F. and reduce baking time to 30 minutes, test for center for doneness on each.