Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
If you are a blueberry lover, you are in for a real treat! This rich and creamy ice cream is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth! Using fresh blueberries is always best, but you can use frozen (See note below). Cook time reflects chill time. From Williams-Sonoma.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (see note Using Frozen Blueberries)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine blueberries, water and sugar over medium high heat, bring to a boil and stir occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer blueberry mixture to food processor and process till smooth, 1 minute.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate about 3 hours to 24 hours, until well chilled.
- Add cream and lemon juice to blueberry puree and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer the ice cream to freezer safe container, cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- NOTE: Using Frozen Blueberries.
- Make the sugar syrup by combining the water and the sugar in a saucepan, bringing to a boil over medium high heat, cooking until clear, about 1 minute. Put the frozen berries in a heatproof bowl and pour the syrup over them. Allow to cool and then transfer to the food processor and proceed with recipe.
Being a "Mainer" I had to try this using our wild Maine blueberries that I picked myself! I added slightly more sugar than called for because the blueberries were a little tart, and it was just enough for our taste. The ice cream was creamy and so delicious! I quickly gave the recipe to my neighbors and family to try and I got back great compliments to pass on to you! This is so easy to make and so easy to eat too! Loved it!
Excellent recipe. Very sweet and creamy. I didn't make enough!
This is the most delicious ice cream. I made it at least five times this summer. Do try this great ice cream.