Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great recipe from Coastal Living.
Make and share this Blackberry Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large Dutch oven.
- Whisk in half-and-half.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat.
- Slowly whisk about 4 cups of hot mixture into beaten egg.
- Add egg mixture to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly, until mixture reaches 160°.
- (Immediately remove it from heat to prevent curdling.) Let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla; chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine blackberries and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a separate bowl; stir well.
- Cover and chill 8 hours, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Stir berry mixture into custard mixture.
- Pour into container of a 4-quart ice-cream maker.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions; if recommended, pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour before serving.
- Scoop into serving bowls; garnish, if desired.
- Makes 1 gallon.
- Note: To hasten cooling of custard mixture, partially fill sink with ice water to come about halfway up sides of Dutch oven.
- Let pan remain in ice-water bath, stirring often until room temperature; chill.