1/1 Photo of Bananas Foster
This recipe only takes 5 minutes to make one delicious dessert!While the bananas cook, scoop the ice cream into individual bowls so they are ready to go once the sauce has been flambeed. Before flambeing, make sure to roll up long shirt sleeves, tie back long hair, turn off the exhaust fan (otherwise the fan may pull the flames up), and turn off any lit burners (this is critical if you have a gas stove). From Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add the brown sugar, cinnamon stick, and lemon zest; stir to dissolve the sugar, about 1 minute.
- 3(If the heat is too high, the butter and sugar will separate instead of combining to form a sauce).
- 4Add the bananas and spoon some sauce over each piece.
- 5Cook until the bananas are glossy and golden on the bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 6Turn the bananas and continue cooking until they are very soft but not mushy or falling apart, about 1 1/2 more minutes.
- 7Remove the skillet from the heat.
- 8Add the rum and wait until the rum has warmed slightly, about 5 seconds.
- 9Wave a lit match over the pan until the rum ignites, shaking the pan to distribute the flame over the entire pan.
- 10When the flames subside (this will take 15 to 30 seconds), divide the bananas and sauce among the four bowls of ice cream and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bananas Foster
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.6
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.9 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 49.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of