Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Oh my goodness! What a recipe. I really don't know what to say, except incredible!
Make and share this Banana Bread Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups day old bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup banana, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place bread cubes into greased 2-quart casserole; pour butter over and toss to coat.
- In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in the bananas. Pour over bread and stir to coat.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- While baking, melt butter in a small saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to butter.
- Stir in milk and corn syrup. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Boil 1 minute then remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm over warm pudding.
I threw this together as a treat for some last-minute guests. Simple ingredients, divine results! I had to sub some almond milk for part of the milk, and I'd say to be careful with adding extra sugar. I did, and next time I will stick to the recipe to suit my tastes.
I was really excited about this one, but felt it fell short in my opinion. I love bread pudding and thought the addition of banana would be great. Instead, I found that the banana pieces that ended up on the top of the dish got brown, and there wasn't enough flavor. Maybe it needs more vanilla or heavy cream. I did use a mixture of skim milk and some half & half that I wanted to use up, and I skipped the sauce (I never eat sauce on my bread pudding). It is probably better with the sauce, but for me to give bread pudding a top review, it needs to be able to stand on its own.
This was fantastic. I used 1 cup of sugar instead of 1/2 cup as my husband likes it sweeter. It was delicious! We will definitely make this again! Thanks!