Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When my daughter was pregnant with her first child, she craved this custard. I made this almost every day for her. My grandmother told me that the secret for smooth custard is not to beat the eggs too much; just make sure they are blended well and that there are no pieces of egg floating around the mixture. Also, put a clean dish towel in the bottom of the baking dish that you are placing the custard cups into, and add water to the dish. It don't know what this is supposed to do, but my custard is always smooth and good.
- Beat slightly to mix well--eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Scald the milk and add slowly to the egg mixture.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a baking dish or pan, place the custard cups; fill them with the egg mixture.
- Add water to baking dish.
- Grate or sprinkle nutmeg on top of each one.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutess or until a silver knife comes out clean when thrust into the center of the custard.
- NOTE: Usually that time is good for me and I don't need to check it with a knife.
I love baked custard, and this was wonderful!!! Very easy to make! I forgot to read the sidenotes about the recipe, so I didn't use the dish towel at the bottom, I just added the water to the baking dish my custard cups were in. Took a long time to set. I ended up stepping out to talk to a neighbor and plumb forgot. So an hour later, when I ran back in, it was set and looking good. So I'm still not too sure about the cooking time. I'll definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing!
Easy-peasy, yummy-scrummy comfort food. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's exactly like my mother used to make when we were kids, but she can no longer cook, so now I get to prepare the treat for her! :)
I used half and half instead of milk and mixed about 1 T. allspice in with the mixture instead of on top. The water bath is a great idea and my custard was done in about 1 hour. I gave it 4 stars only because it was not set at the time called for. I served it warm with whipped cream that I whipped up while the custard was cooking. This is a comfort food dessert that I would even love for breakfast. Hey, it's got eggs and milk haha!