Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When my daughter was pregnant with her first child, she craved this custard. I made this almost every day for her. My grandmother told me that the secret for smooth custard is not to beat the eggs too much; just make sure they are blended well and that there are no pieces of egg floating around the mixture. Also, put a clean dish towel in the bottom of the baking dish that you are placing the custard cups into, and add water to the dish. It don't know what this is supposed to do, but my custard is always smooth and good.
- Beat slightly to mix well--eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Scald the milk and add slowly to the egg mixture.
- Add the vanilla.
- In a baking dish or pan, place the custard cups; fill them with the egg mixture.
- Add water to baking dish.
- Grate or sprinkle nutmeg on top of each one.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutess or until a silver knife comes out clean when thrust into the center of the custard.
- NOTE: Usually that time is good for me and I don't need to check it with a knife.