1/1 Photo of Baked Bean Cake or Muffins
1 hr 15 mins
Elly in Canada's Note:
An unusual "veggie cake" made with baked beans! I find this similar to a carrot cake, it is easy to make and very tasty. Adapted from a recipe found in Saltscapes magazine, chef Marie Nightingale.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (19 ounce) can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil (I used 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2Place raisins in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, set aside.
- 3In large mixing bowl, mash beans with a fork.
- 4Add eggs, oil and sugar, beat well.
- 5Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- 6(I sometimes add a 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves to spice it up a little!).
- 7Stir into bean mixture.
- 8Drain raisins and reserve liquid.
- 9Add raisins, nuts and vanilla to batter.
- 10If batter is too thick, add a little of the raisin water, stirring to combine.
- 11Pour mixture into a greased 13" x 9" baking pan.
- 12Bake at 325 degrees for approximately an hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 13Remove from oven and let cool in pan on rack.
- 15Combine sugar and cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- 16Bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes.
- 17Add butter, remove from heat and stir in nuts, coconut and vanilla.
- 18Pour evenly over the cake, allow to cool before cutting.
- 19Note: edited to reduce 1 cup oil to 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup applesauce and reduced the sugar from 2 to 1 1/2 cups with good results. This recipe will makes 24 large muffins, baking time is 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Bean Cake or Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.2
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.1 mg
- Sodium 493.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 55.5 g
- Protein 9.2 g