I saw this being made on sunrise television programme and just had to try it. These are so easy, and make a very nice dessert. I used fresh apples and they turned out fantastic. I dusted the tops with some cing sugar and served with cream, the family loved them.
- Place apples in a bowl with sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Cut pastry sheets into quarters.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture and 1 teaspoon jam onto one half of each pastry square.
- Brush each square with a little of the egg around edge of pastry.
- Fold over pastry to enclose filling, then pinch and fold edges to seal.
- Place turnovers on oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Brush tops with remaining egg.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with some sifted icing sugar if desired.
- The turnovers are best served warm.