I saw this being made on sunrise television programme and just had to try it. These are so easy, and make a very nice dessert. I used fresh apples and they turned out fantastic. I dusted the tops with some cing sugar and served with cream, the family loved them.
- Place apples in a bowl with sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Cut pastry sheets into quarters.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture and 1 teaspoon jam onto one half of each pastry square.
- Brush each square with a little of the egg around edge of pastry.
- Fold over pastry to enclose filling, then pinch and fold edges to seal.
- Place turnovers on oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Brush tops with remaining egg.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with some sifted icing sugar if desired.
- The turnovers are best served warm.
I used my own apple filling recipe (for dietary needs) but I had a lot of problems with my puff pastry (just wouldn't seal properly and well stretchy and gluey) and I found 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple mixture was definately enough and in all the kerfuffle I forgot to put in the jam (which I was only going to do with half of them) but served with vanilla icecream and cream (cream for 3 not me) and a dusting of icing sugar and it was good eating. After I attempted to make the first 2 with troubles I put my apple mix in the fridge a totally cooled it to cold (the mix was still just warm with the first 2 which I think contributed to the problem - SO RECOMMEND A COLD APPLE MIX). Thank you Tisme, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 10.
Made the recipe as posted including the strawberry jam. A great breakfast this morning. Have to try this again when apple picking is at its peak again next year !! Made for RecipeSwap# 46.
Absolutely delicious!!! I made this to take to a family breakfast gathering and it was enjoyed by everyone. They all thought that I had bought it. I didn't make individual pastries, as I wanted to get more out of it. So I made it as a whole, and then sliced it to get more serving. I will defiantly make this again. Made for NZ/AUS Make my Recipe Tag Game