Spice up this comforting crumb topped fruit with cinnamon and nutmeg for a delightfully down home dessert. With chopped macadamia nuts, it has a pleasant crunch that contrasts with the tender apples and pineapple. I found this recipe in Taste Of Home Quick Cooking 2005. I have not tried this crisp. I'm posting this for safe keeping.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks, drained
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 3 ounces macadamia nuts, chopped
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and pineapple; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender and topping is golden.