1/3 Photos of Apple Pear Cranberry Crisp
1 hr 25 mins
Adapted from 2007 Ina Garten's recipe. I added the cranberries. They go so well with the pears and the apples, and fresh cranberries were in season and they go so well with the orange zest and juice. This crisp can be successfully frozen. I just made mine the other night, and I actually assembled it and froze it all, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap then aluminum foil, for 8 months!!! And it was delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ripe bosc pears (4 pears)
- 2 lbs firm macoun apples (6 apples)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, frozen if desired
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 lb cold salted butter, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Peel, core and cut the pears and apples into large chunks.If you can't find Bosc Pears or Macoun Apples, use any pears or apples that are flavorful and will hold up well in baking. Canned fruit will NOT work in this recipe. Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Carefully fold in fresh cranberries (frozen if freezing dish for later baking). Pour in a 9 x 12 x 2 oval baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 x 2 casserole dish, and it was fine. The oval may look prettier on the table).
- 3For the topping: Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering completely. At this point for freezing, you can tightly cover the top with plastic wrap, and then triple wrap the entire dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Take a quart-size Ziploc bag and fold up your recipe paper, write the date on it, and tape it to the outside of the dish and put in your freezer.
- 4If baking immediately, place the dish on a sheet pan and baked for 55 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly. Serve warm.
- 5If going from freezer, remove from freezer, leave wrapped. Allow to thaw completely. Unwrap and bake as directed above. May require an extra 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it. Don't let the top get too brown.
- 6Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream or a nice caramel sauce.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pear Cranberry Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.8
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 284.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 75.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g