In the Vermont countryside, there are two sure signs of spring: frost heaves in the road and smoke rising from the chimneys of the sugarhouses. This recipe was inspired by treats you find while touring this corner of America: cider doughnuts and maple syrup. A mini-Bundt pan produces adorable doughnut-shaped cakes, but if you do not have one, you can use a regular Bundt pan and make a coffee cake; bake it in a 375-degree F oven fo r 25 to 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (preferably canola oil)
- 1To make Doughnuts: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Coat molds of a mini-Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- 3Sprinkle with sugar, shaking out excess.
- 4In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- 5In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, cider, yogurt and oil.
- 6Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- 7Divide half the batter among the prepared molds, spooning about 2 generous tablespoonfuls of batter into each mold.
- 8Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly.
- 9Loosen edges and turn the cakes out onto a rack to cool.
- 10Clean the mini-Bundt pan, then re-coat it with oil and sugar.
- 11Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 12To make maple glaze: In a bowl, combine confectioners sugar and vanilla.
- 13Gradually whisk in enough maple syrup to make a coating consistency.
- 14Dip the shaped side (underside) of the "doughnuts" in the glaze to coat. Then set them, glazed-side up on a rack over wax paper for a few minutes until the glaze has set.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cider Doughnuts With Maple Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (1492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.7 mg
- Sodium 386.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 66.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g