this makes 8 - 10 LARGE rolls, or 27 small rolls..
Make and share this Amish Cinnamon Buns 1994 ( Indiana) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm tap water
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes (no seasonings or milk)
- 1 large egg
- 6 teaspoons active dry yeast (3 envelopes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (first addition)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour (second addition)
- 1⁄3 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixer place the warm water, sugar, oil, potatoes, egg and salt, mix well.
- Add the yeast, and combine well.
- Add the milk powder, and the first addition of flour.
- Beat for three or four minutes.
- Gradually add the second addition of flour, and when workable, place on a floured board, and knead for ten minutes.
- Grease a large bowl and place dough ball into bowl, greasing the top of dough.
- Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until double about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and very thoroughly break down bubbles.
- Form again into a ball and cover let rise in greased bowl for one more hour.
- Punch down and place onto a floured surface.
- Roll out to 15 x 14 rectangle.
- Spread dough with soft butter, and sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar over this.
- Tightly roll up from the long side.
- With serrated knife cut into 8-- 2 inch slices (8 large rolls) For smaller rolls, divide the dough into two, then roll into a 12 x 8 rectngle, fill and roll.
- Cut into 9 one inch slices for each rectangle.
- (27 rolls) Place rolls into a greased 10 inch pansat least 2 inches deep.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for 10 minutes, Raise the temperature to 350 degrees F.
- and continue to bake 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and invert onto racks.
- Beat all frosting ingredients, sugar, butter, flour,vanilla, and dash salt all together.
- Then frost tops of cooled rolls.