Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I used to work as a pastry chef, and created this cheesecake from a plain pumpkin cheesecake recipe, to make it a little more special. This cheesecake will take some time, and love . But the results are a beautiful and decadent pumpkin dessert that no one will forget. Make sure you have a good size baking pan or roasting pan that your springform pan can fit inside, and a wide roll of heavy duty foil.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs (also about 4 to 5 thin slices pumpkin bread)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (big spoonful)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese (5, 8oz bricks, room temp.)
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup caramel sauce (approx., it's a good idea to have the caramel sauce in a squeezable bottle or piping bag)
- If you are using homemade gingersnaps for your crumbs, I recommend chopping them up and baking at 350°F for about 10 min, then let cool and dry out. To make them into a finer crumb, use your food processor, or put them in a ziploc bag and beat with a mallet. Also before you get started, you will need to start a pot of boiling water, for the water bath you will be baking your cheesecake in.You will need a large baking or roasting pan large enough to fit your springform pan inside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- To make crust: in a bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs ,the gingersnap crumbs the butter, melted, and the heaping tablespoon of sugar. Press the crumbs into a 9 or 10 inch springform pan about halfway up the sides of the pan. Bake for 5 minute.
- Cut your pumpkin bread slices very thin, and then cut them into strips and lay them on the bottom of your pan, over your crust however they can fit, you might not need to use all of the bread, and don't worry about completely covering the crust it's not necessary.
- In your mixer bowl combine 4 of the bricks of cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and vanilla, beat together until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, continue beating until creamy. Pour into the springform pan. Pull out a large sheet of foil and place your springform pan into the center of it, wrap the foil up the sides carefully, because you are trying to waterproof your cheesecake. Do this with one or 2 more sheets of foil to be safe, if your foil is too high over the cheesecake, just carefully fold it down a little. Place your foiled springform pan into your large baking pan, and carefully fill it with the boiling hot water until the water is about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Very slowly place into the oven. Bake 60- 70 minutes.
- The top will turn darker by this point. Remove from oven and cool completely. When it is room temperature, you may refrigerate. Do not remove cheesecake from the springform pan until after you have finished adding the topping.
- For the top: In your mixer bowl combine 8 oz cream cheese, and 1/3 c sugar, beat until smooth, add the 1 cup of sour cream and mix, scraping the sides of the bowl until blended well. Spread over the top of the cheesecake until completely covered. Then make straight lines of caramel sauce across your cheesecake topping, in the opposite direction, carefully run a knife across your lines of caramel, to make a nice swirl like design.
- Run a thin knife carefully along the sides of your cheesecake to help loosen from the pan. Remove from pan, and place on your favorite cake stand.
- The best way to cut cheesecake cleanly, is to use a knife that has been dipped in very hot water.
- For extra garnishes on your slices try standing a piece of pecan praline into the center of your slice and decorate with whipped cream.
What an outstanding recipe. This was easier than I thought to make and well worth the labor. This cheesecake is very rich and flavorful, and my whole family loved it. My family thought I bought it and tried to act like I made it. I could not believe the results. Thankyou so much for the recipe, this will be a new favorite in my family for years to come.